Frequently Asked Questions
The following information from Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast is designed to provide our wedding clients with valuable information for their special day. If there is any question you have that is not answered on this page or elsewhere on our site, please don’t hesitate to ask! Call us at 970-596-3730.
- How Many Guests can Secret Garden Accommodate? Up to 200.
- Wedding Site Fee: Receipt of the Site Fee of $1,500 guarantees you the dates you want for your wedding. In order to keep wedding costs as affordable as possible, Secret Garden does not accept credit cards for costs attendant to weddings.
- What does this cover? Your Site Fee includes use of the entire garden level of our spacious bed and breakfast, as well as the five bedrooms, living and dining room and the expanse of our outdoor grounds. As check-in begins at 3:00 p.m., we require that our wedding clients take the B&B rooms the night prior to your event at our normal room rates, $688 plus taxes (or $777.10 inclusive). Additionally, you have use of our china, crystal and silverware (includes over 200 place settings) and whatever you wish to use of our tables and chairs. Check-out is at noon the day after the wedding.
- What should I budget for catering for my wedding? As catering costs depend entirely on your culinary choices and number of guests, we will provide you with more detailed estimates as we talk about your specific requests. However, our couples tend to spend in the range of $40 per person, plus the mandatory 9.45% state sales tax for food, including hors d’oeuvres, a main course with two entree selections and side dishes. Wedding desserts are usually priced separately. Wait staff is an additional charge (see below.) Please note: Secret Garden is a full-service caterer and as such is unable to honor requests to bring in outside food from any other sources.
- Can you custom create a menu for my wedding guests? We do not work off set menus at Secret Garden, planning every menu individually with each client. There are no two menus alike as each is custom-crafted for each couple. We are happy to honor your family traditions, special requests, or special foods for guests with specific dietary needs.
- Can Secret Garden provide my wedding cake? Absolutely! Our expert bakers can create any type of cake, or for that matter, prepare seasonal pies, tarts or even a dessert buffet for that extra-special presentation. We will work closely with you to make sure that your cake is decorated perfectly to reflect your personality and interests.
- Do you provide bartending and wait staff for my Ouray wedding? Of course! We’ll professionally staff your event at $20 per wait staff hour. For our average event, servers work 6-7 hours, therefore a budget of approximately $120-$140 per server is a good estimate. We generally staff our wedding events with one wait staff per ten guests to ensure that your day moves along seamlessly.
- I’d like to serve alcohol at my wedding – can Secret Garden assist with this? Secret Garden does not hold a liquor license and our clients must provide their own liquor. This offers many advantages including personal preference as well as cost control for our wedding couples. As the party is not open to the public, no permitting is required for us to serve your liquor to your guests. We have wonderful bartenders and wait staff who will serve your guests throughout the day and evening.
- We love to dance! There is a lovely covered deck for you and your guests to enjoy whatever music or live entertainment your day might bring. “Sound curfew” is 10 PM so we can remain a good neighbor to those around us. At that time, most wedding parties who wish to continue celebrating adjourn to the local pubs and breweries to continue their festivities there.
- What other services can Secret Garden provide? We are delighted to help you with referrals for all of the other services you will need to create the perfect wedding, such as liquor, flowers, music, photography, and jeep rentals. We even have babysitters!
- Additional Events? Many couples opt to host their Rehearsal Dinner at Secret Garden as well as their Farewell Breakfast the morning after their Special Day. As no extra site fee is required, your additional costs only relate to catering. This is a great way to make your site fee go even farther and your wedding more affordable.
- One more thing: As our box canyon is bordered by sound-reflective stone, and the joyful sound of parties goes right into the guest rooms next door, we have found it necessary to ask Secret Garden wedding parties to agree to rent the three rooms at San Juan Chalet next door. In addition to the convenience of lodging right next door, the San Juan Chalet has a dog-friendly cabin. Please see www.sanjuanchalet.com for pricing. They may also be reached at 970-318-1144.
- Contracts: A written emailed acknowledgement of receipt of the Site Fee serves as your pre-contract, an agreement that you will engage Secret Garden for your wedding festivities. A more complete agreement, outlining all the details and expectations, will follow when your menu is finalized and all decisions have been made.
- Reservation and Cancellation Policy: The payment of your $1,500 site fee reserves your date at the Secret Garden. Should cancellation be necessary, we will refund your entire site fee if the cancellation is requested no more than 30 days after booking our venue. As many weddings are booked one year out, we will likely have lost the opportunity to book another event.